Your weekly dose of weekend adventure:
1. Celebrate the Holidays at SAMA: On Saturday, SAMA will have holiday festivities all day long. Check out the holiday fair and potters guild clay festival during the day and the River of Lights celebration starting at 4:00 PM. ‘Tis the season!
2. Listen to Songs of Freedom: On Saturday at the Carver Cultural Center, a Tribute to Freedom will take place. Under the direction of Grammy Award-winning drummer, Ulysses Owens Jr., the 1960’s are explored through the work of Joni Mitchell, Abbey Lincoln, and Nina Simone; three prolific artists who expressed freedom in various ways. Joni sung about the freedom of love, Abbey Lincoln expressed freedom of her individuality and race through her lyricism, and Nina Simone demanded freedom politically through song.
3. Check out a laser show: URBAN-15’s annual Holiday Laser Show will take place this Sunday. The event is a multimedia spectacular of choreographed laser beams, colorful 3-D animation, and light effects performed to traditional holiday favorites and experimental electronic composition. You won’t want to miss this!
4. Do some Christmas Shopping: Celebrate the Holidays at Beethoven Maennerchor! Stop by the Garten to select arts, crafts in what can only be described as a fabulous family-friendly Holiday event complete with lederhosen, Santa Claus and Gluhwein! We’ll have arts and crafts vendors of all kinds. Stop by to shop for your loved ones for the holidays.
5. Catch a Christmas Concert: On Friday night,Trinity will host a Christmas Concert. The concert showcases the combined talents of nearly 250 of the University’s singers and instrumentalists. Featured ensembles include the Symphonic Wind Ensemble, the Trinity Symphony Orchestra, the Trinity Choirs, and the Trinity Handbell Ensemble. On Sunday at 5:00 PM, there will be a candlelight concert including the traditional Lessons & Carols service. Get there early to guarantee your seat!
P.S. This Friday is also First Friday in Southtown and Downtown. Don’t miss out!
Leave a Reply