We all know that Thanksgiving means time with family, but sometimes you need something more to do other than sit and stare at each other. I have collected some great options for the whole family. Check them out!
1. Turkey Trot: Kick off Thanksgiving on a healthy note with a family fun run. This race is in the King William District and every entry will provide a turkey for a family in need. Now that’s a win, win!
2. Visit a Museum: What better way to get out of the house and walk off some of that Turkey than enjoying a local museum. While museums are closed on Thanksgiving day The San Antonio Museum of Art will have a free day on Friday.
3. Watch the Tree Lighting: Centro will be lighting the tree in Travis Park on Friday. Festivities begin at 3 p.m. and the tree lighting ceremony will take place at 6 p.m. This year’s event will feature free photos with Santa, food trucks, local entertainment, activities, and free festive treats!
4. Go for a Hike: The weather in San Antonio is finally cooler and what better way to kick off the holiday season that getting outdoors in the fresh air?! If you aren’t interested in a hike but want to get outside then try exploring the new holiday exhibit at the Botanical Gardens.
5. Attend the River Parade: Need another reason to get into the holiday spirit? The Ford Holiday River Parade is the way San Antonio kicks off the holiday season. The lighting of the world-famous River Walk is followed by a spectacularly illuminated night parade with costumed float riders and holiday music. The theme for this year is Christmas at the Movies bringing classic holiday movies to life. The parade sold out last year with over 50,000 attending so make sure to buy tickets early.